If you haven’t yet discovered what yoghurt can do in a cake, then this is will blow your baking mind. The creaminess of yoghurt with citrus and the unique flavour of pistachio will not disappoint!
for the cake
100g whole pistachio nuts, shelled
1/2 cup organic self raising flour
1 1/4 cups fine semolina
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am natural yoghurt
3 organic free range eggs
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 oranges, zest and juice
Pistachio nuts, to decorate
1/2 cup pure icing sugar
3/4 cup (180g) five:am vanilla bean yoghurt
for the cake
1. Preheat oven to 180¡C.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add pistachios, self raising flour, semolina, bicarbonate soda and sugar. Mix well to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together yoghurt, eggs and oil.
4. Add orange juice and zest to egg mixture.
5. Whilst stirring the flour mixture, slowly add yoghurt mixture until well combined. Rest for 5 minutes.
6. Spoon micture into a greased 24cm cake tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cooked.
7. Allow cake to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. When cool, drizzle yoghurt icing over cake and decorate with pistachio nuts.
for the yoghurt icing
1. Mix icing sugar and five:am vanilla bean yoghurt together until well combined.
2. Allow to thicken in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes before spreading on cake.