Perhaps the most loved Indian dish worldwide today, this cook at home from scratch version will hit all the right notes – rich and creamy, the key is in the yoghurt marinade that let’s all the flavour in. Yum!
8 chicken thigh cutlets
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp paprika
50g unsalted butter
2 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp tomato paste
410g diced tomatoes
180ml chicken stock
5 cardamom pods, bruised
1 cinnamon stick, cracked
3/4 cup (180g) five:am greek style yoghurt
Salt to taste
five:am greek style yoghurt to serve
Fresh mint leaves to serve
1. Marinate chicken with garlic, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chilli powder, paprika and yoghurt overnight (or for least 2 hours).
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook chicken until browned.
3. Add cardamom pods, vinegar, chicken stock, cinnamon, tomatoes, tomato paste and mix well. Bring to the boil then simmer for 40 minutes (or until the sauce starts to thicken).
4. Stir in five:am greek style yoghurt and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
5. Serve chicken with steamed rice, naan or roti bread for dipping.
If you donÕt have time to marinate the chicken, follow the instructions below
-Dust chicken with a little flour and cook in butter until browned. Remove chicken from pan and brown spices until fragrant.
– Stir in remaining ingredients, including chicken and bring to the boil.
– Cook over a low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.